Osteoporosis Screenings, Prevention and Treatment
The Bone Health Team of the Clark Medical Group is a multi-disciplinary team of providers that offers Osteoporosis counseling and treatment and bone density screenings for patients.
Dr. Jennifer Teeter from Clark Orthopedic Spine & Sports Medicine and Dr. Chih Chang from Clark Endocrinology are trained in the diagnosis, treatment and management of osteoporosis and other bone disorders.
Loss of bone mass – often called “osteoporosis” or “brittle bones” – is a common health issue that can lead to big problems like fractures. That’s why it’s important to monitor your bone health and take steps to reduce your risk.
Our experienced Bone Health Team offers a wide range of services for men and women of all ages, including:
- Screening tests that monitor your bone density, including a type of X-ray known as a DEXA scan
- Treatments that can help slow the rate of bone loss, including medications and hormone management
- Consultation on other ways to reduce your risk of osteoporosis and osteopenia (a precursor to osteoporosis)
Do you need an osteoporosis screening?
Screening is generally recommended for:
- Women 65 and over
- Men 70 and over
- Anyone over 50 who breaks a bone
- Menopausal women with risk factors (see below)
- Men between 50 and 69 with risk factors (see below)
- Anyone who has experienced loss of height
Risk factors for osteoporosis include:
- Low bone density
- Low body weight
- Family history of fractures or a previous fracture
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Three or more alcohol drinks per day
- Long term use of steroids and some medications
For more information on Osteoporosis and the Bone Health Team, visit our Healthy Screenings page.
Call the Bone Health Team at 812.288.6161.